Selling a car without a roadworthy

Selling a used car and upgrading to a new one is not easy. Many legal steps need to be done before selling a car. Selling a car without a roadworthy is only possible in different circumstances. But mainly to sell a car, you will require some documentation.

However, selling cars and other vehicles is different in different countries and states. That’s why it is essential to check the requirements and notifications of the government where you are living.

Car scrap removal has been working for a long time and providing valuable services in different states of Australia. Here, you will find all information about selling a car with or without a roadworthy. But first, we need to know what roadworthy is?

What is a roadworthy certificate?

You require a roadworthy certificate when you want to sell an old or used vehicle to someone. Roadworthy is a safety certificate that provides a clear check to your vehicle. It is proven that your vehicle is safe to use on the road.

However, you will have to pay some amount to get a roadworthy certificate. But if you don’t get a roadworthy certificate, you can have a heavy fine, and the car registration will not be considered valid. That’s why it is essential to have a roadworthy certificate.

Selling a car without a roadworthy certificate:

However, a roadworthy certificate is only required in specific conditions like a registered car. Following are some ways when you don’t require a roadworthy certificate while selling an old car.

The vehicle is unregistered:

    You don’t need a roadworthy certificate when you have an unregistered vehicle. If your vehicle is not on the government’s paper list, then there will be        no restrictions or fines on the vehicle.

Selling to a dealer:

Some people don’t want to get involved in the hustle of finding a buyer and doing the documentation work. Then they prefer to have a dealer who sells their car. A dealer is someone or a company who buys your vehicle or looks for a buyer for your vehicle.

In that case, you will not require any roadworthy certificate. You only need to register the car in the name of the dealer. But it is vital that the company you are concerned with is registered or have a confirmation letter from the government.

Also, when you hire a dealer, never transfer the registration before getting any payment. A lot of people have been getting scammed by some illegal dealers. That’s why it is essential to have a good dealer.

Selling to a wrecker:

If the condition of your car is terrible, you can send it to a wrecker. In that case, you will not require any roadworthy certificate. Instead, the wrecker will repair the car’s parts or recycle them as a new vehicle’s part.

Safety check for roadworthy certificate:

When you sell a car, the condition of the car’s parts must be good. Otherwise, during a safety check, you can have a heavy fine. In addition, the roadworthy certificate can only be valid for 30 days. That’s why your vehicle must sell within 30 days of the roadworthy certificate.

You can get the safety check certificate from AIS. During the safety check process, they inspect different parts of the vehicle whether they can run on the roads. Please visit a car shop for repairing of parts. The parts included in vehicle inspection are:

  • Wheels
  • Brakes
  • Steering
  • Suspension
  • Lights
  • Windscreen
  • Body rust or damage

Cost of issue of roadworthy certificate:

The cost of a roadworthy certificate varies for different vehicles. For a car, it is almost $84.70; for a trailer, it is $42.40; and for a bike, it is $54.40. This fee is issued by the government and is the same in the repair shops.

If you don’t get a roadworthy certificate or the investigation of the vehicle is not correct, you still sell the car. Then you have a fine of almost $560 which is eight times the original price. That’s why it is better to pay less than pay more in the future.

Process of selling a car:

The process of selling a car is a bit difficult task. It includes different steps that are discussed below in detail.

Download copy of transfer form:

A transfer form helps you to have a complete guide about your vehicle. For a different type of vehicle, you will require a different transfer form.

Provide proof of ownership:

It is imperative to provide proof of the ownership of the vehicle. No one will buy a car from you without confirming that you are the actual owner. You will require the following documents:

  • Photo identifications
  • Vehicle registration certificate
  • VicRoads account

Also, take a roadworthy certificate from a registered wrecker or safety checker. Also, clear all the gas bills or other financial bills before selling a car.

Receipt proof:

Ensure that the person you are selling your car has a MyVicRoads account. Then, it will be straightforward for you to transfer account data to his name.

Also, make a receipt of the selling and buying of the car as proof. Write all the necessary information on that receipt like:

  • Date and time of sale
  • Your name, signature, and address
  • Buyer’s name, signature, and address
  • Vehicle’s necessary information like registration number, VIN or chassis number and model of the vehicle

Fill vehicle transfer form:

Fill out the transfer form with all the necessary information. Fill in the details of the buyer and the seller in the respective sections. Both buyer and seller must sign the transfer form. Also, take a picture of the document as proof.

Make it confirm that all the information provided is correct. Don’t let any column empty. If any mistake comes, the transfer process will not continue. The buyer should confirm the transfer of the vehicle within 14 days on the website of VicRoads.

If the buyer confirms the registration, you will have to pay all kinds of traffic fines and gas payments. That’s why force the buyer to issue it as early as possible. Also, selling a car without a roadworthy can cause you a heavy fine. That’s why it is better to have a roadworthy certificate when you sell a car.

You can also read this article about how to sell and transfer a registered vehicle.